What is the Census?
Why is the 2020 Census Important?
Federal, state, and municipal lawmakers make decisions about how billions of dollars in public funds are allocated for schools, roads and bridges, fire and emergency services, healthcare, and more based on census statistics. Programs informed by census statistics include those for:
Older people and low-income populations:
- Medicare & Medicaid
- Supplemental Nutritional Assistance Program (SNAP)
- Children's Health Insurance Program (CHIP), i.e. Florida KidCare
- Federal Pell Grants
- Career and technical education grants
- Adult education grants
- Head Start
- National School Lunch Program
- Title IX funding
Census results will determine the number of seats each state receives in the U.S. House of Representatives. Results also impact congressional and state legislative districts
Business owners use census statistics to create economic and employment opportunities. The statistics help determine where to hire new employees, open new locations, and more.
Who Has Been Counted So Far?
How Do I Do It?
The 2020 Census can be completed online, over the phone, or by mail. You will need the code on your invitation letter.
It can also be completed by phone in multiple languages
TDD (Telephone Display Device): 844-467-2020
The U.S. Census Bureau has translated web pages and guides in 59 non-English languages, including American Sign Language, as well as guides in braille and large print. Click the links below for language assistance.
Help Us Spread the Word & Get Everyone Counted
LORHN is working with partners in Western Palm Beach County communities (South Bay, Belle Glade, Pahokee, and Canal Point) and Indiantown in Martin County. If you want to get involved to help share information, connect with us. Being a partner is easy:
- Share flyers and handouts
- Share LORHN posts about the #2020Census on social media platforms (follow us on Twitter, Facebook, and Instagram)
- Challenge your friends and family to complete the census on social media
- Ask your faith leader to speak about the census and the importance of completing it
- Invite us to do a presentation to your group (virtual presentations to follow social distancing guidelines)
- Invite us to your neighborhood to provide electronic devices to complete the online survey (once CDC guidelines for social distancing are lifted)
- Share a new idea with us - we want to hear from you!